Friday, October 23, 2009

River Kayaking



A kayak is a great way to travel the river. In the fall when the river is low and more rock bars are exposed a kayak will take you places not reachable by power boats. I use a sit on top version made by Ocean Kayak. Its only 12 feet long but will float 900 pounds which leaves lots of room for agates. It's also incredibly stable. To travel from one access point to another takes two cars. We go pretty late in the year. Earlier would make for fun over night camping out on the river. One problem is that I collect so many agates and petrified and beautiful stones in a day that I need to unload each day. I guess I would need to be more selective if I kayaked two days or more. Many of the access points are 15 to 20 miles apart so it's a full day of agate hunting and paddling.

No comments:

Post a Comment